This is a rant.
Why are you doctors always so het up over patients eating or drinking anything before surgery? If I don't eat for a full 8 hours, my stomach will be empty within the first couple of hours, then I get hungry, and then gastric juices start to flow into my stomach. So it's not really empty when I go to surgery if I follow your instructions, now is it?
You say you don't want the patient to throw up and then aspirate something. Fine, but why is that not a concern after surgery? Everyone in my family vomits violently from the anesthesia or whatever it is that makes you vomit. So first the anesthesiologist runs through all of the drugs that don't work. (Is there any drug less effective than phenergan? Why DO you use that if it never works?) When none of the ones that are ineffective work, and they never do, then they finally haul out the good stuff.
Meanwhile, patient has vomited up three weeks worth of meals.
Is there some way for the patient to get the anesthesiologist to use the stuff that works right at the beginning? Why must we get so sick before you actually use something effective?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey if I tell you, ya gotta promise to keep it secret..You're right, all that "Aspiration" stuff is a bunch of crap, I mean, all we have to do is a "Rapid Sequence Intubation" which every REAL Gas Passer Loves to do, I'd just as soon Patients eat right up to when we push the STP, want them to feel comfortable after all...SO...the REAL reason is....its just an easy way to cancel cases we don't want to do...thats it...
Don't Tell!!!!!
Darn. I thought I had my blog set to mail all comments to me, but apparently not, so I didn't see this until tonight.
So what about keeping the patient from vomiting after surgery?
And what's the deal with no pain meds unless you are actually hurting? A relative just had an organ removed, but she woke up in terrible pain. The anesthesiologist claimed he was giving her morphine, but it was not helping. (Several years ago she had been given morphine for a kidney stone, and it did nothing for her then, either. What's up with that?)
So why not just give her the real pain meds from the get-go? Why do you have to be in absolute agony before a doctor will actually treat pain?
I have not had good experiences with this myself, so my current plan is to avoid pain, if at all possible, so I don't have to deal with doctors who don't want to treat pain.
Post a Comment